Riverton, in Burlington County New Jersey, is a small residential community on the Delaware River approximately ten miles north of Philadelphia. It was founded in 1851 by a group of ten Philadelphians for summer homes for their families; Robert & William C. Biddle, Caleb & James Clothier, Dillwyn & William D. Parrish, Rodman Wharton, Daniel L. Miller, Jr., Chalkley Gillingham, and Prof. Charles D. Cleveland. This group, most of whom were Quakers, had discussed such a project for some time as industrialization along the Schulylkill river in Pennsylvania made that region less desirable. They wanted a site offering country living with easy access to Philadelphia. Riverton offered both
The data relating to real estate for sale on this website appears in part through the TReND Broker Reciprocity program, a voluntary cooperative exchange of property listing data between licensed real estate brokerage firms in which the owner of this website participates, and is provided by TReND through a licensing agreement. Real estate listings held by brokerage firms other than the owner of this website are marked with the Broker Reciprocity icon (a little black house) and detailed information about each listing includes the name of the listing broker.
All information provided is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed. Some properties which appear for sale on this website may no longer be available because they are under contract, have sold or are no longer being offered for sale. The information being provided is for consumers’ personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing.