Lumberton or as it was once known, Lumbertown, was a pioneer settlement. Its name came from the fact that Pine trees were abundant in the vicinity and boats and rafts carried lumber and cord wood from the Rancocas Creek to Philadelphia and other places. There were two or three lumber yards and saw mills at one time.
In 1683, Robert Dimsdale, an English physician, bought a tract of land from William Penn on the North side of the Rancocas Creek. Through a portion of the tract, a body of water flowed (Bobby's Run) and entered the Rancocas Creek next to the present Railroad Bridge.
Mr. Dimsdale set to work establishing a small working community revolving around a sawmill. In this area we have the housing development of Bobby's Run as well as other schools, thus the name Bobby's Run School and Dimsdale Drive.
The village of Lumberton grew out of two bordering towns : Eayrestown, settled by Richard and Elizabeth Eayres in the late 1600's. Eayrestown was the first substantial settlement in this area. The town was responsible for a diversity of commerce including sawmills and gristmills. At one time Eayrestown was the home of a picnic grove that had a carousel and attracted visitors from as far away as Philadelphia. William Foster settled Fostertown in 1735. His plantation was on what is now known as West Bella Bridge Road. Fostertown claimed to be the home of shoemakers, tailors and wheelwrights. There is not much left of these two towns today, but a few houses and street names.
Lumberton was incorporated by an Act of the New Jersey Assembly on March 14, 1860. The town was a hub of commerce and transportation. All types of boats were using the creek - canoes, rafts, shunkus, sloops, and barges. In 1855, steamboats appeared on the creek. The first was believed to be the "Wave", then came the "Barclay", which was built in Lumberton and made her last trip in 1870. Both of these boats were side-wheelers. The "Minerva" was a tugboat that also mad regular trips to Philadelphia carrying all sorts of cargo from farm produce to ironware.
The data relating to real estate for sale on this website appears in part through the BRIGHT Internet Data Exchange program, a voluntary cooperative exchange of property listing data between licensed real estate brokerage firms in which Keller Williams participates, and is provided by BRIGHT through a licensing agreement. The information provided by this website is for the personal, non-commercial use of consumers and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. Real estate listings held by brokerage firms other than Keller Williams are marked with the IDX icon and detailed information about each listing includes the name of the listing broker.
©2018 BRIGHT, All Rights Reserved. Information Deemed Reliable But Not Guaranteed. Some properties which appear for sale on this website may no longer be available because they are under contract, have Closed or are no longer being offered for sale.
Data last updated: Aug 20, 2018 1:33:am.